I’ve gone through most of Jacob’s baby things to get ready for Lucas’s arrival in about 5 weeks, and there are a few things I never used for Jacob and probably still won’t again. So, having gone through it once, here’s my personal list of most unuseful baby products.
1. Pee Pee Teepees: cloth cone-like things used for catching boys’ run-a-way squirts during diaper changing. Cute idea and name, but not really practical. This was a gift, but I never used it.
2. Baby robes: I almost bought one of these as a shower gift before I became a mom because I thought it was really cute. I was given one as a gift and never used it. After all, who let’s their baby hang out in a robe after their bath? You just dry them off and put them in a sleeper.
3. Crib quilts: I bought the cutest safari crib quilt and matching bumper set for Jacob. Then I read that blankets and bumpers were safety hazards that could cause the baby to suffocate. And, the bumper is a real nuisance to remove in the middle of the night when the baby pees and you have to change the sheet. So, they went into the closet, and I never used them. I actually tried to hang the quilt on the wall one time for decoration, but it kept falling off (the stickies weren’t strong enough to hold it), and I never found a rod to hang it on.
4. Baby shoes for ones who aren’t walking: I was given a few pair of shoes as parts of outfits, and Jacob never wore them. I can see where you might want to buy shoes for a girl to wear with a fancy dress, but otherwise, what’s the point?
5. Baby oil and powder: I got a couple packages with the whole set of Johnson and Johnson body wash/lotion/oil/powder. I never used the oil or the powder. They tell you not to put a bunch of extra “stuff” on a baby’s skin, so I just used the basic body wash and lotion. I came across a couple bottles of the oil and powder when I was cleaning out Jacob’s things. I actually tried the oil on my dry skin the next day, and it turned red, so I’ll probably throw it in the trash.